Thursday, October 2, 2008

Was it broke?

I haven't posted in quite a while. Here are some things that I have been thinking about.

My Training - A few weeks back, I diagnosed my running problems as shin splints. It was at least that. Three weeks ago, I was not even able to run1 mile any more. Sucksville!!!
The pain was residing in just my right leg. It really hurt about 2/3 of the way up my tibia. Very tender to the touch and the pain would radiate all the way through my body. Self diagnosis tells me that it actually was a stress fracture. The timing of the whole thing makes sense also. It has been 5.5 weeks since Lean Horse and 6 weeks is amount of time needed to heal a stress fracture properly.
Just in the last 3 days, the pain has reduced about 10-fold and it feels like I am running again!
I'm feeling very good about being able to recover fully and put out a respectable effort at the NYC marathon.

Schmoopie Runs Again - My dear Schmoopie (my wife, Mary) is running the Twin Cities Marathon this Sunday! She is in good shape to run this one. The forecast looks great. with temps in the 50's and 60's.
This will be her second marathon. Her first was Med City Marathon in Rochester, MN on May 25. I paced her on that one and she did fantastic - finishing in 4:18:55!
I wish her all the best, as I may have to stay home on Sunday, tending to some fall harvest duties. Maybe it will rain, and I can get up there and cheer her on!

1 comment:

SteveQ said...

(Now that I stopped gagging after reading the name "Schmoopie"). Most soft tissue injuries heal in 6 weeks, so it isn't necessarily a stress fracture. My standard test for stress fractures is that they hurt if you poke them from either side. The radiating pain just means there's nerve involvement; compartment syndrome is possible (but would flare up again), but stress fracture does fit well. At any rate, avoid speed, hills and 100 milers for a while.